Saturday, August 06, 2005

Fedora

So I've got this site written in Rails, and my manager seems pretty excited about setting an Apache server up under Linux (Fedora Core 4). Unfortunately I've never really used Linux. Just a few failed attempts at installation. :)

So Friday I fought all day trying to get the site setup on a machine at work. They had already installed Linux on it, including Apache, but the docs on the Rails site assumed I would be installing Apache myself. By the end of the day I hated Linux.

Or rather I hated that it made me feel stupid. So today I give it another go. Last night I downloaded the FC4 DVD. Today I installed it, including the option to include Apache so I would hopefully duplicate near enough the configuration at work. Since I've installed it on my Compaq Presario X1000 laptop, it took me awhile to figure out how to get the wireless working. (I have a Broadcom 4306 based WirelessG MiniPCI card I upgraded to from the stock Intel 2100 or whatever) Eventually I bit the bullet and surfed over to Linuxant (which I was avoiding since I'd read it's not free). The setup couldn't have been smoother though, so I think they earned the $20 they're asking for. Well, actually, there was a hiccup when I couldn't figure out what to do with the R74092us.EXE file I downloaded from their Windows drivers page, but some googling quickly turned up that I could just execute "unzip R74092us.EXE" at the Terminal to open it up.

So now I'm up & running, and posting this with my wireless connection in Linux. Spiffy.

It's like Longhorn aka WindowsVista or something, but today. :)

Anyways, I think I'll hold off on banging my head into the FastCGI/Apache setup again until tommarow.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?